The majority of nuisance dog complaints received at Council are due to barking dogs. Here are some handy tips and boredom busters.
Why dogs bark?
- Loneliness. Dogs are social animals
- Stress due to separation from an owner
- Conditioned behavior, where an owner rewards the dog for barking
- Dominance. Barking until they get what they want
- Attention seeking
- Fear. Dogs bark at people, other dogs or objects when scared
- Threat or territory: Something unfamiliar may be a threat
- Breed. Some breeds have a reputation for barking